Scientists: Please contact our office at (909) 866-5791 ext 210 to arrange your visit.
General Visitors: Due to
NST installation no public tours/visits are scheduled for Summer of 2013.
Getting to Big Bear Valley
Use Google MAP and DIRECTIONS for driving
from: LA area, LAX and ONT airports
to: CA-38/North Shore Ln
A modification of the Google route is to use I-10E instead of I-210E
(easier to navigate but heavier traffic):
*) From I-605 take I-10E, continue toward San Bernardino/Redlands
*) Take CA-30 N toward Mnt Resorts/Big Bear Lake.
See Google Traffic Report
In Big Bear Valley
Immediately after you pass Fawnskin, turn right from CA-38/North Shore *Drive*
onto North Shore *Lane* under the blue "BOAT RENTAL" sign. Drive for about
0.2 mi, the observatory will be on your left.
If you miss this turn, drive for about 0.9 mi and turn right onto North Shore
Lane under the brown "SERRANO Camp" sign. Drive for about 0.7 mi,
the observatory will be on your right.
At the Observatory
Turn into the drive way (away from the lake) and use BBSO plan to locate your destination. You may park in either upper of lower parking lot. The front office is located in the Admin Building, entrance from the porch. Offices are also located in the Cowley Lodge Annex. Accomodation at the Cowley Lodge.
- Single rooms in BBSO's Back Lodge are available at a rate of $10 per night for visiting scientists only. Lodging can be paid with cash or personal checks - credit cards are not accepted.
- There is no food service at the observatory. Accommodations have one common equipped kitchen. The nearest stores and restaurants are in the
City of Big Bear Lake (~4ml).
- Wireless internet, coin washer and dryer are available.
- Renting a car is preferable. Nevertheless, to get around one can use Dial-a-Ride service provided by local transit authority.
- There are many hotels in the area. For hotel accommodations we recommend the
Best Western Chateau here in Big Bear Lake. Contact phone: (909)-866-6666, or Sherri Hoffman (sherri.hoffman at bestwestern.com), Sales Manager. Ask for *ask for Observatory discount*.
Another possibility is Northwoods Resort by the village. Ask for Observatory discount, say "GSAS" for discount
For more information on Big Bear Area visit Official site of Big Bear Chamber of Commerce or explore Google links to
Send Comments to:
© BBSO/NJIT - Last modified: June 27, 2013.