Subject: Partial Halo CME on 2003/10/19, frontsided
From: Gareth Lawrence <[email-masked]>
To: Halo CME alert list <[email-masked]>,

UCMEO 93001 31021 0000/
31019 61708 90410 1321/ 148// 233// 40458
31019 61642 91722 15608 10484 2112/
99999
 
PLAIN
 
BT 

LASCO and EIT observed a partial halo CME on 2003/10/19. A wide 
bright loop was first seen in C2 at 17:08 UT in the NE; by 20:30 UT 
the front spanned ~190 deg from PA 320-150, though faint in the SE.
The front first appeared in the NE in C3 images at 18:15 UT and 
reached its maximal extent by 21:15 UT. The mean plane-of-sky speed 
was 458 km/s, measured at PA 50 with no compelling evidence for
acceleration.

The CME was probably associated with a X1.1 X-ray flare which EIT
observed between 16:43 - 17:22 UT with peak emission at 17:00 UT. 
The flare was centered at N08E56. SEC records the flare between 
16:29 - 17:04 UT with peak emission at 16:50 UT, from AR 0484 
located N08E58. Both an EIT wave and dimming were observed in 
conjunction with this event. Please note that the apparent
change in overall brightness in the EIT movies and images after
17:00 UT is an artifact of the image processing and arises due 
to a change in exposure time after 17:00 UT.

Images and movies are available at  

ftp://ares.nrl.navy.mil/pub/lasco/halo/20031019

Best wishes,
        Gareth Lawrence.

+----------PLEASE NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS-----------+
Gareth Lawrence,           [email-masked] 
SOHO-LASCO Operations Scientist,                                           
CUA, MC 682.3, Bldg 26, Rm 001,   F: +1-301-286-0264         
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center,
Greenbelt, MD 20771.              P: +1-301-286-2941
+--------------------------------------------------+