SOME PROPERTIES OF MMFS
A complete list of all known properties of MMFs was compiled by
Ryutova et al. (1998):
- MMF tend to appear in opposite-polarity pairs. Frequently they are
not equally visible.
- Pairs can emerge anywhere in the moat, but most are near the outer
edge of the penumbra.
- The outer foot moves slightly faster then the inner one.
- MMFs are oriented radialy and
- The "inner" foot predominantly shares the sunspot's polarity.
- MMFs bipoles are randomly oriented (Lee 1992)
©BBSO/NJIT Seminar on OCT 99, 2000